Monthly consumer confidence surveyCAMME
The aim of this consumer survey, named CAMME in France, is to collect information on consumer behaviour and expectations in terms of expenditure attitudes and savings.
This survey is carried out each month by the Member States of the European Union.
It also measures cyclical trends as perceived by households (changes in prices, etc). The CAMME survey thus contributes to the evaluation of the French economic outlook.
This survey permits us to calculate the consumer confidence indicator, which is regularly referred to in the media.
The survey set up in 1958 by INSEE with a threefold purpose:
- to collect the opinions of households on short-term changes in cost;
- to study households’ spending intentions;
- to study their holidays.
Initially, the survey was carried out half-yearly, and then from 1965 four-monthly.
In 1972, the survey was conducted on a identical basis within the European framework. Since that date, the European Commission has set up an European system for business and consumer surveys to which the Member States of the European Union now contribute.
In January 1987, the CAMME consumer survey was launched in France. The questionnaire used is part of the former four-monthly survey, adapted to European needs.
In 2003, the CAMME survey was restructured with the following three aims:
- to adapt the questionnaire to new European requirements;
- to improve upstream and downstream statistical processing;
- to modernise computerised processing.
Two new quantitative questions on prices were introduced: opinion given on the development of consumer prices over the last 12 months and in the next 12 months.
The purpose of the current consumer survey is twofold: first, to collect information on households’spending and savings intentions, and second, to assess their perception of the factors influencing these decisions.
Type of operation
- Department of Demographic and Social Statistics
- Quaterly business outlook survey in the building trades
- Monthly survey in the retail trade and in the trade and repair of motor vehicles
- Bi-monthly business outlook survey on wholesaling
- Monthly outlook survey in industry
- Monthly business outlook survey in the building industry
- Quarterly business outlook survey in real estate development
- Monthly outlook survey in services
- Quarterly business outlook survey on public works
- Quarterly outlook survey on the rents of the social sector
- Household annual survey on information and communication technologies