The national accounts in 2014National accounts - Base 2010
Non-financial corporations and unincorporated enterprises in 2014National accounts - Base 2010
Non-financial corporations (S11 and S14AA)
The non-financial corporations sector includes non-financial corporations and unincorporated enterprises.
Non-financial corporations (S11)
Non-financial corporations are institutionnal units whose principal activity is the market-production of goods and non-financial services.
Non-financial corporations iclude:
- national private non-financial corporations, i.e. those which are not controlled by public administrations or by non-resident institutionnal units,
- public non-financial corporations mainly owned by public administrations (as SNCF, EDF, RATP, La Poste, etc.),
- foreign controlled non-financial corporations, i.e. those which are controlled by non-resident institutionnal units (subsidiaries, etc.).
Non-financial unincorporated enterprises (S14AA)
Non-financial unincorporated enterprises (sole proprietorships) do not have a legal form of corporation. Their assets and liabilities being hold by a physical person responsible on his own properties (the sole entrepreneur), their transactions are recorded in the households account (S14). Nevertheless, it is possible to distinguish in the households account, transactions of unincorporated enterprises related to the production account and to the generation of income account.
Recording of transactions
Transactions must be recorded on an accrual basis, i.e. when they are generated: creation, transformation, extinction or annulation of an economic value, a claim or an obligation. Moreover, transactions are recorded for the due amount.
Ratios derived from accounts
The sequence of accounts provides some ratios:
- the margin rate is the ratio between gross operating surplus and value added,
- the investment rate is the ratio between gross fixed capital formation (GFCF) and value added,
- the cash flow is the ratio between gross saving and GFCF.
ESANE combines administrative data (corporations' annual reporting of profit to fiscal administration and annual reporting of social data) and data obtained from the annual sector survey (ESA) conducted on a sample of corporations, especially the breakdown by branch of activity of the turnover, to produce corporations structural statistics. Data relative to non-financial corporations come mainly from ESANE. A process called "move to accounts" ensures their adaptation to national accounting concepts, which differ on some points of the standards of private accounting (type of recording and valuation of change in inventories for example).