Tertiary education covers general, technological and professional teachings that require an educational level higher than or equal to the Baccalauréat or equivalent.
The teachings are taught in public and private education institutions, attached to a ministry or not. It includes institutions located in France and its overseas territories, and the french institutions located in a foreign country. These include:
- universities and university institutes;
- national higher institute for professors and educators (INSPE);
- higher technician sections (STS);
- grande école preparatory classes (CPGE);
- engineering schools;
- business, management, marketing and accounting schools;
- paramedical and social schools;
- art and culture schools;
- public service schools and training centres;
- free higher education institutions;
- other schools with various specialities.