Business register identification system
Articles R123-220 to R123-234 of the Commercial Code establish a national identification system for natural and legal persons and their establishments based on the business and establishment register (Sirene : Computer system for the business and establishment register).
The register records the civil status of all companies and their establishments:
- whatever their legal form;
- whatever their sector of activity (industrialists, traders, craftsmen, liberal professions, farmers, local authorities, banks, insurances, associations...) ;
- located in metropolitan France (including Corsica), as well as in Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana, Réunion, Mayotte, Saint-Barthélémy, Saint-Martin and Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon.
Public or private organisations and foreign companies that have a representation or an activity in France are also listed.
In addition, the public administrative sector of the State or municipalities, located in New Caledonia, French Polynesia, and Wallis and Futuna, is also included (Articles R930-1, R940-1 and R950-1 of the Commercial Code).
In addition to managing this directory, Insee has an inter-administrative coordination
and information mission:
- assignment of a unique identifier, the Siren number to legal and natural persons and the Siret number to each of their establishments;
- codification of their main activities;
- permanent information of Sirene's associates and partners to whom movements recorded in the register are communicated (creations, modifications, terminations);
- transmission of the registration certificate by Insee to the company, association or public sector body following the processing of forms sent by the centre de formalités des entreprises (CFE) or associated bodies for cases of creations and modifications.
Exception: companies that are registered in the Trade and Companies Register (RCS) and the Special Register of Commercial Agents (RSAC) receive their certificate of creation directly from the commercial court registry.
Insee also provides information to the public: Article R123-232 of the French Commercial Code authorises Insee to communicate certain information listed in the directory to persons or organisations under certain conditions.