Survey on observation of prices in industry and servicesOpise
The survey “Observation of Prices in Industry and Services” measures the monthly or quarterly evolution of transaction prices for goods or services. It aims at meeting the obligations of the European regulation on short-term statistics.
The producer price indices in industry and business services are also used as deflators by INSEE national accountants to calculate the evolution in volume of production and subsequently the value added of the branches, in the same way than consumer price indices.
The results of the survey cover different branches of activity via :
· The monthly Producer Price Indices in the Industry which measure the evolution of prices for the production of goods and services, linked to a particular industrial activity and sold on the French domestic market or on foreign markets;
· The monthly Purchase Price Indices for Imports of Industrial Products which measure changes in the prices of products and services bought by French economic agents from non-resident agents;
· The quarterly Producer Price Indices in Services which measure the evolution of transaction prices of French services related to a particular service activity and sold to legal or natural persons on the French domestic market or to external markets;
· The quarterly Price Indices of Maintenance and Improvement of Dwelling which measure changes in prices of construction companies (including craft businesses) for their works of maintenance and upgrading of residential buildings (and also non-residential, extension of the current survey).
The survey in its present form began in 1977, and was quarterly at first. Monthly publication of Production Price Indices in the industry began in 1989 in France while the European Regulation (EC) No 1165/98 related to short-term statistics (STS) imposed only in May 1998 a monthly supply of Production Price indices in the industry by Member States of the European Union.
The monitoring theProducer Price Iindices of the industry for foreign markets began in 2001.
Import purchase price indices have been monitored since 2004, on an even monthly basis, following an update of the STS regulation (No 1158/2005).
The Producer Price indices in Services was launched in 1992 and their first publication began in 1994. The collection and dissemination of production of these price indices are quarterly from the beginning.
The "STS-package", which is currently being defined, requires an extension of the scope of services to all market services from sections H to N excluding K (financial services), with an all-market approach ("BtoAll"), beyond only business services. This STS-package is part of the framework regulation "FRIBS" being defined.
Type of operation
- Department of Business Statistics
Frequency of data collection
- Producer and Import Price Index in Industry
- Service producer price index
- Housing Maintenance and Improvement Work Index
- Producer cost indices for construction