Jobseekers are people who are registered with « Pôle emploi ». Registration on the « Pôle emploi » lists is subject to certain conditions, but jobseekers may or may not be receiving compensation, and some may be in employment. Depending on their situation with regard to the obligation to seek employment and whether or not they are in employment, they are grouped into five categories:
- category A includes jobless jobseekers obliged to actively seek a job ;
- category B includes jobseekers having performed a short-term reduced activity and obliged to actively seek a job (i.e. 78 hours or less in the course of the month );
- category C includes jobseekers having performed a long-term reduced activity and obliged to actively seek a job (i.e. more than 78 hours in the course of the month );
- category D includes jobless jobseekers not obliged to actively seek a job (because of an internship, a training course, an illness, etc) Including the job-seekers in agreement of personalised reclassifying (CRP), in contract of professional transition ( CTP) and in professional safeguard contract (CSP);
- category E includes employed jobseekers not obliged to actively seek a job (for example: beneficiaries of subsidised contracts, business creators).