There are several forms of divorce (law of May 26th, 2004, come into effect on January 1st, 2005):
- by mutual consent (by joint or accepted request);
- for separation (after 2 years of separation);
- or for fault.
Three types of judgements may be pronounced :
- A legal separation order. This judgement must be written in the margin of the marriage certificate but does not authorise remarriage. It is revocable further to the simple agreement of the spouses when they resume living together ;
- A conversion of separation. It transforms a separation into a divorce and authorises remarriage ;
- A divorce following a direct request. This judgement must be written in the margin of the marriage certificate. It is irrevocable and authorises remarriage.