Civil Service Ministerial Statistical Department
The Civil Service Ministerial Statistical Department is the Bureau of Statistics, Studies, and Assessment (Bureau "Statistiques, Études et Évaluation") of the Ministry for Decentralisation and the civil service.
The division of Statistics, Studies, and Assessment prepares and releases statistical data and studies on the three civil-service categories (employees of central government, local government, and public hospitals) for two purposes: (1) to assess the interdepartmental policies implemented by the Directorate-General for Government Administration and the Civil Service (Direction Générale de l'Administration et de la Fonction Publique: DGAFP); (2) to offer guidance for the major ongoing projects concerning the modernisation of personnel management.
The division builds an information system on the civil service from the following :
- surveys of personnel directorates of civil-service categories in close cooperation with the "local government", "health and solidarities" and "labour-employment-training" statistical departments ;
- extraction of data from administrative sources on actual and budgeted workforce levels ;
- collection and consolidation of data on the three civil-service categories.
It insures the project ownership of the decision-making information system of the human resources of the central government.
The Bureau prepares analyses and studies on the three civil-service categories :
- assessment of interdepartmental policies ;
- contribution to the work of the Observatory on Public-Sector Employment (Observatoire de l'Emploi Public) ;
- socio-demographic studies on public-sector employment and human-resources management ;
- contribution to work of steering committee for equal access of men and women to senior positions in the three civil-service categories.
It promotes and distributes the results of these studies through a series of publications, and in particular the "facts and figures" volume of the annual report on the state of the civil service.
Status in institution
The division of Statistics, Studies, and Assessment is a unit of the Directorate-General for Government Administration and the Civil Service (DGAFP). DGAFP's mission is to enforce the main rules of the "Civil Service General Statute," thereby ensuring the consistency and unity of the civil service. To government and ministries, it provides expertise on statutory regulations, compensation of employees, pensions, working time, and social programs; it oversees "interdepartmental schools of administration" (écoles administratives interministérielles), which include Instituts Régionaux d'Administration, the École Nationale d'Administration (ENA), and the Center for European Studies in Strasbourg (EES). DGAFP is in charge of following the social dialogue with employee organisations.
More recently, the DGAFP has coordinated human resources management for the State as an employer, and has moved towards a role steering human resources management policies. It is responsible for consistency between the human resources policies conducted by the various public-sector employers.